November 2017 Update – School changes 2018 – Abersychan Brynteg Nursery and Cwmffrwdoer, Garnteg and Victoria Primaries
We promised in the summer that we would keep you updated with the progress being made to support the changes in 2018.
The council and the schools met again before the half term holiday to discuss and plan the current priorities and we hope you will find the following updates helpful:
- The Admissions & Transfer Team would like to thank everybody at Victoria Primary for returning their school transfer preference forms by the deadline. These are now being processed and parents will be sent letters informing them of the outcome by no later than 30 November 2017. Those who have expressed a preference for Garnteg are guaranteed a place but will still receive a letter.
- The application process for September 2018 nursery places closed in October 2017 and parents will receive letters informing them of the outcome by no later than 24 November 2017.
- The application process for September 2018 Reception places will open on 12 December 2017 and close on 26 January 2018.
- Children transferring from Victoria Primary to another primary school at the end of the 2017-2018 school year will qualify for assistance with some new school uniform items. The council and schools will start to look at the arrangements for that in the New Year.
- The schools and council are now preparing the plan of activity to prepare children for the moves to their new schools. The activity will help to ensure the children know their destination school before they move, and help to identify and support any anxieties they might have about the changes.
- The schools continue to work together in their cluster to support curriculum delivery and development across the catchment.
- Staff in the schools and the council who work with children with additional needs have met to ensure the moves for those children and properly planned and supported on an individual basis.
- The council’s Human Resources Team are continuing to support the schools and staff with the changes, ahead of the formal process of restructuring which will start in the New Year.
- The council’s Asset Management Team is now looking at the future use of the Brynteg and Victoria sites, the first step of which is to establish whether there is any interest in an alternative use from within the council. More news is expected on this in late November/early December.
The next update will be in January 2018 but please remember that you can ask questions at any time and school and council staff will do their best to answer them.